How it all started for Shahfiq & Adesh
BentukBentuk was founded in April 2016 after months of countless experiments and it does hold a very special place in our heart from right where it starts until now. This entire business idea was born completely out of a dream and we didn’t know could ever come to life. It’s truly only because the faith and trust that we have in the brand and having each other pushing ourselves over the boundary to make this dream that it ever came to be.
The tipping point was in late 2015 when Adesh had stumbled upon a picture of a succulent in a concrete planter which she immediately fell in love with it. We tried looking out for something similar if not the same everywhere, but we couldn’t believe it ourselves that it was nowhere to be found here in Malaysia. Being a no stranger to diy, we tried making a geometric concrete planter ourselves by watching the tutorials on Youtube. What you see is sometimes is not what you get, we had many disappointments from our try outs but somehow we still determined to perfected it and boy it was all worth it. Feeling so pleased with ourselves, we started posting the concrete planter that we’ve made in our personal Instagram.
Little that we know that it was from that moment, we had got ourselves into something very magnificent! The number of interest shown by our friend from that single post really blew us off and we started making and giving it for free of course at first. But something began tugging at our heart and we began feeling a pull towards turning this into a business. We’ve never been so right in our life…never!
We were talking and planning about the business and of course looking for a suitable name for our brand, something that relates to us as Malaysian, represents our product aesthetic and yet catchy and easy to remember. Shahfiq come out with the name “BentukBentuk” and why not? It is in our own Malaysian national language (staying true to our root), represent our aesthetic (various shapes!) and it is really easy to remember. It’s a jackpot for us!
After almost 7 years, the love we have to BentukBentuk never fades, yet it grows stronger than ever and we have so many future plans ahead for it to be a leading brand in concrete pieces and making Malaysia proud.
Product Care Guide
- Jesmonite has not been tested for food safety, Jesmonite materials can be used for decorative tableware; however, we would not recommend you place food or liquids onto the finished Jesmonite products.
- Do not put in the microwave or dishwasher.
- Wipe clean with a non-abrasive damp cloth and dry thoroughly.
- A protective sealant has been used on your item to limit stains but prolonged exposure to water will lead to water marks.
- Whilst this is a durable material please avoid dropping as it may break.
- Our coaster products are designed to be used for your hot/cold drinks.
- Everything in our Jesmonite range is handmade - there may be small air bubbles, or imperfections as a result.